(AINA) -- ISIS today released 16 Assyrians that it captured on February 23 when it attacked the 35 Assyrian villages on the Khabur river in the Hasaka province. ISIS captured 253 in the initial attack and drove 3,000 Assyrians from their villages. Most have not returned.
Eight of the hostages are children.
ISIS executed three of the hostages on September 23 (AINA 2015-10-08). The number of Assyrians from Khabur still being held is now 89. ISIS is also holding 185 Assyrians it captured in Qaryatain.
ISIS has released Assyrians from Khabur on the following dates:
- January 14, 2016: 16 released
- December 25: 25 released
- December 9: 25 released
- November 24: 10 released
- November 7: 37 released
- August 11: 22 released
- June 16: Francois Sawa released
- May 26: two elderly women released, Ramziyya Rehana (80) from Tel Jazira and Yoniyya Kanoon (70) from Tel Shamiran
- March 3: Two Assyrians from Tel Shamiram were released, Yatroun Marko and his wife Wardiyya Yonan. Two Assyrians from Tel Goran were released, 6 year-old Mariana Mirza and her father's aunt, Bobo Mirza.
- March 1: 19 Assyrians Released, all from the village of Tel Goran